Classes last week were pretty standard – language lessons and teaching lessons, with a few panel discussions thrown in there for questions we come up with as the days go by (we have so many!). We visited an outdoor restaurant one night for dinner which was pretty cool. It was kind of like what I’d picture a Tahitian building to look like complete with plumeria flowers blooming around us (picture below NOT taken by me – it’s from the internet), thatch hut-type structures, and lanterns lighting the way.
Friday was my “day of frustration.” Mind you, I let myself get frustrated, so that was half the problem. My classes were a little confusing and, I felt, more repetitive than I’d like. I have a new-found appreciation for people who study education in college. Our classes have been very theoretical (with practical lessons as well), but I think the only way you can learn about teaching is by doing it. Additionally, I believe a large part of the profession has to do with attitude, natural ability, and common sense/intuition. So talking so much about teaching is an interesting experience. But what do I know? And it is an important parallel to draw that we are learning a new language while learning how to teach a foreign language. I can appreciate the frustration my students may have in the future a lot better.
Anyway, the frustration continued, but was really quite silly because I was taking cultural and linguistic miscommunications too personally. It boils down to the fact that I was thirsty all night – no drink throughout most of dinner (at a wonderfully loud Japanese place called Spicy Extra Hot Ramen) and extreme and ridiculous overcharging at the club later on resulting with the emptying of my wallet on one drink…boooo (keep in mind I’m only using cash – no plastic money). For some reason, this pushed me over the edge enough to suddenly become a bit homesick. But it was another ETAs birthday, so I did my best to just shake it off and move on (or should I say dance it off, haha). The club was called Score! And has a tag line – a fun, casual hangout. Most clubs here seem to have these call signs. Kinda funny. It was a nice place with live music and lounge seating. Most of the people were men. Hardly any ladies to be seen besides in our group. The second band to go on was a Rolling Stones cover band – the perfect thing to get me out of a funk. It’s actually really interesting how powerful familiar music can be – even if it is sung by a small Indonesian man with an accent and a 1960’s Beatles-style haircut. Listening to my iPod later that night in bed was exactly what I needed to remind me of what I’m doing here.
The next day we went shopping again. A note about shopping in
That evening (Saturday) was a continuation of the birthday celebrations. Dinner was had at the Dago Tea House where I had gado-gado (vegetarian salad-type meal with rice and peanut sauce). We spent the rest of the night at a club called Cloud 9 – quite possibly one of the coolest bars I have ever been to. Situated literally on the side of the road on the edge of a mountain overlooking the city, you first see only a small, silent building. I was completely bewildered to find that the building itself only really had a staircase going down. With each step you took, you got closer and closer to the pesta (party). Slowly you started to hear the muffled music, then the voices until you reached the outdoor bar lit with lanterns and full of fun. When I say it was an outdoor bar I mean this: there were three walls, with the fourth open to the side of the mountain. We hung out here, watching the bright lights of the city from afar ‘til around 3:30 am (well, only a few of us made it that far, but I certainly did not poop out until the very end!). To get back to our hotel we took ojaks – motorbike taxis. It was so fun to ride on one down the hills on the empty streets in the middle of the night. I had never been on the back of someone’s bike that wasn’t my dad, but I felt safe nonetheless. Once at the hotel, a few of us hopped into the pool for a bit. The morning call to prayer starts at 4 am and lasts until 5. Let’s just say I didn’t go to bed until after the call was over (which does usually wake me up in the mornings…). It was a good night.
The next day I peeled myself out of bed to go hike an active volcano. 13 girls piled into a van (a FB sorority event, if you will, since we have 10 guys and 26 ladies. We like to reference a wonderful Beach Boys song every few days). It was our first experience where people just come right up to us and ask to take a picture with the “bules,” the foreigners (boo-lay). But once we got out of the highly touristy areas, the view was great (and stinky from the sulfur!). A picture of the view of the other mountains is below.
Afterwards we visited a nearby 90ft waterfall in a park-ish place. I am really not surprised by the number of women in the program. And I should add, interesting and smart women. I find that ladies of such caliber are no stranger to risk – you almost kind of have to go out on a limb sometimes to be such a lady (openly, honestly and generously intelligent while simultaneously down to earth and classically funny) – and living and working here is certainly a risk worth taking. Not to toot my own horn, of course. I often have nothing of real worth to add to our conversations – a dud, if you will. J When we finally returned home we gathered together to chat and eat delivery pizza (New York Style. Good bye developing country diet).
And today was a return to the grind of classes, which is actually a nice way of not reminding me that I graduated and won’t be returning to Wake this fall…sad. I did cry because I was laughing so hard for the first, though. I was in a giddy mood and something very situationally funny happened and I just lost it.
I want to end by talking about a few remarkable things about
Anyway, if you have any questions for me, please send me an email (and keep me updated with yourselves), and I will try to blog the answers.
Have a good day!

1 comment:
So...quick update, just in case you don't know, Matt Grevers won a silver medal in the 200 back and his face was all over the place! I wanted to make sure that you knew this very important news ;) I like this past post a lot! It sounds like you are having the time to adjust and learn about Indonesia before you begin teaching and I am so happy for that! I miss you constantly, but am settled by the fact that things are going well! Love you!
Post a Comment